Wednesday 9 July, 2008

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

I was stumbling around the web (addicted to Stumble Upon!) and found this very interesting article for legalizing drug use. Click here to read it. It makes some very good points.
I guess allowing people to make their own choice about drugs is OK, but all I'm worried about is my own (prospective) kids having free access to such life-altering chemicals without proper information on the effects such chemicals can have on their lives. I would want them to at least be adults, and completely aware before making such a decision, and not teenagers under peer pressure. I think making these things hard to get protects many borderline cases to stay this side of the line.
In light of this article though, it does seem that legalizing them is a much better and safer option than the current situation. But the solution I'd suggest is to have an age barrier for their sale, just like alcohol - make age verification compulsory before sale and restrict points of sale to chemists or pharmacies with qualified pharmicists, not just some overworked bored teenage supermarket clerk who's not even going to bother checking ID properly.
What do you think?

No comments: